Conga Restaurant is the name of one of the best Bifana sandwich makers in Porto. This is a name that you can´t forget when visiting Porto:Bifana!
First of all, what is a Bifana?
Bifana is a pork and bread (sandwich), filled with hot and spicy sauce, and it is a very traditional Porto dish.
WHERE CAN I FIND CONGA RESTAURANT?
So, Conga is a restaurant funded in 1976, opened after it´s owners had returned from Angola (Africa), and decided to open this restaurant in Porto´s downtown, nearby Allies Avenue / Avenida dos Aliados. Since then, their reputation as “Porto´s best Bifana“ has grown, and you can check why by paying a visit during your stay in Porto.
BONUS TIP:Bifana´s recipe
PREP TIME:15 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
TOTAL TIME: 35 mins
This pork tenderloin sandwich recipe comes directly from mom’s recipe book. Another wonderful, traditional recipe from the Azores Islands. So full of flavour!
Author: Nelson Cardoso
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 4 large sandwiches
INGREDIENTS FOR BIFANA´S RECIPE
- 2½ lbs pork tenderloin
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tbs course salt
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 tbs (a mild) hot pepper sauce (or Frank’s hot sauce as a substitute)
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 large crusty buns
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BIFANA´S RECIPE
- Thinly slice the pork tenderloin in into pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Add the minced garlic, course salt, lemon juice, lime juice, white wine and hot pepper sauce.
- Mix well, cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours or over nights.
- In a large pan, melt the butter on medium high.
- Once the butter is melted and starts to bubble, carefully pour in the pork and marinade.
- Straighten out the pork to make one layer and cover.
- Continue to cook on medium high until the liquids are reduced to half.
- Uncover and taste a piece of pork for doneness. The pork should tender. Adjust salt if needed by adding another pinch or two.
- Shut off the stove.
- Cut large buns and pile meat onto the bottom of each bun. Spoon some of the sauce from the pan over the meat.
- Place the top of the bun on the sandwich and serve hot with a cold beverage!