Super Bock is a Portuguese beer brand from the Unicer brewery which produces a range of beers under the same name. Established in 1927, Super Bock maintains a leading position in the market and it is among the favourite beer brands of the Portuguese. It is also the best-selling Portuguese beer in the world, and also considered as Porto´s best beer.
“Authentic and magnetic, Super Bock Original has a regular presence in your life. Its positive and close energy makes it the beer of excellence for your socialising moments. A pilsner beer, golden and luminous, of fine, refreshing flavour.
- Winner of 30 consecutive gold medals in the prestigious international competition Monde Selection, Super Bock is internationally recognised for its high quality.
- Released in 1927 with an alcohol content of 5.2 %, Super Bock is included in the Group of beers known as Lagers (low fermentation beers).
- The selection of the best malt and hop varieties, as well as the use of a special, pure yeast, along with the best processing conditions allow us to obtain a fair, bright and vivid beer with a very pure, white and creamy foam. The fresh aroma, slightly malty and fruity, the average body and balanced flavour, the well-structured bitterness together with the sweet malt and the end palate that is light and dry in the mouth, these are the features that put Super Bock on a higher level. This harmony universally pleases, it being widely appreciated by millions of faithful fans in Portugal and around the world who prefer its unique flavour.” – Source:Super Bock website
Super Bock:brand´s History
Super Bock was created in 1927 and, in 1967, its first adverts were launched under the slogan “The beer that goes beyond your expectations”. During the 70s, the company launched a distribution network in Lisbon with 12 delivery vans.
- In 1992, Super Bock became the market leader in Portugal, maintaining the preference of beer consumers until today. In 1995, it was the first Portuguese brand to use product naming in a music festival. Thus, Super Bock Super Rock came to be the biggest rock festival to be held in Portugal and the only one to celebrate 20 consecutive years of the best music. In 1998 and 2001, this brand sponsors two of the largest Portuguese cultural events ever:Expo’98 and Porto 2001 (European Capital of Culture).
- Super Bock Stout, launched in 2003, sold five million litres with three months of market presence, the value the group estimated to achieve by the end of that year. That same year, the brand entered the segment of non-alcoholic beers with Super Bock Twin. The following year, 2004, Super Bock Green was launched, marking the beginning of a new segment in the beer market in Portugal:beer mixers (flavoured beers).
- In 2006, two new beers are launched:Super Bock Tango, the first “gooseberry beer” produced in Portugal, and Abadia, a craft beer recipe – which achieved the highest market share among new releases.
- In 2007, the brand presented the first Portuguese beer bottle made entirely of aluminium. In the same year, the new range of non-alcoholic beers – created through a partnership with the Chemical Engineering Department of Porto University’s Faculty of Engineering – was relaunched. The production of the new Non-Alcoholic begins with a base beer – Super Bock Original – from which the aromas are removed. It is then subjected to a process of alcohol removal and, in the end, flavours are returned to the beer. Also a Non-alcoholic Black beer and a Non-alcoholic beer with Peach flavour were launched. In October, the launch of Non-Alcoholic Lemon reinforces the range of Unicer non-alcoholic beers.
- In 2008, Abadia Ruby and Gold beers – gourmet limited editions – were launched, the same year when Super Bock XpresS bottle was announced – a pressure bottled beer, a partner product of the pressure beer system for domestic use (XpresS) that had been put on the market in 2006. During 2008, the brand began a process of restyling of its entire range.
- Super Bock Mini with easy opening – a pioneering system, which eliminates the need of a corkscrew – hits the market in 2009. Following this launch, in 2010 begins the sale of the IceBocks – a box to which ice can be added to cool the mini beers -, and is launched the first edition of Super Bock Verão, a more refreshing and low-alcohol beer.
- Also in 2010 the range of Non-Alcoholic 0.0% has been extended with the launch of a new flavour:Apple. The brand seized this launch to present a new image for its non-alcoholic flavoured beers.
- The big focus in 2011 was the launch of Super Bock Classic. In 2012 Super Bock went through a market repositioning process, creating a new brand signature:“Life is Super”.
- In 2013, Super Bock Selecção 1927 was launched, a range of craft beers in limited and seasonal editions.
- In 2015, the best-selling Portuguese beer in the world took on a new commitment with Portuguese consumers, and changed its signature to “Super Bock takes Friendship Seriously“. At the same time, this brand launched a new range of beers – Super Bock Mix Vodka Lemon and Super Bock Mix Caipirinha – in order to meet the needs of urban consumers, and focusing on night markets.
- In January 2016, Unicer opened the visitor centre “Super Bock´s House of Beer“, located in Leça do Balio Production Centre. There you can see the brewing process, discover the raw materials used to make beer, as well as stories, interesting facts and remarkable moments of this brand´s beer.
According to a brand flavours’ diversification strategy, Super Bock beer is currently available in several varieties in the Portuguese market, including:
- Original (5.2% ABV): Lager beer.
- Sem Álcool:Non-alcoholic variant – Non-alcoholic pilsner (0.0% AVB) and Non-alcoholic black (<0.45% AVB).
- Classic (5.8% ABV):Strong lager beer.
- Abadia (6.4% ABV):Beer with extra fermentation of red tone.
- Stout (5% ABV):Black beer.
- Green (2% ABV):Beer with lemon juice.
- Super Bock Selecção 1927:Range of craft beers.
- Super Box Mix:available in two varieties – Super Bock Mix Vodka Limão and Super Bock Mix Caipirinha.
- Only available in Export markets: 0.0% Non-Alcoholic Super Bock (also available in four flavours:Lemon, Apple, Pomegranate, Strawberry & Dates).